Today we share with you the results of the state-mandated PARCC Assessment taken this spring by DC Bilingual’s 2021-2022 3rd-5th graders.
The PARCC Assessment is a computer-based assessment aligned to the Common Core State Standards. It measures college and career readiness in English Language Arts (ELA) and math. The test measures students’ ability to engage in high-level thinking and to work through complex problems. DC public and public charter school students all take the PARCC Assessment.
DC Bilingual is incredibly proud of our students for their performance on the PARCC assessment, especially considering this was the first time this cohort of students have taken the test. In fact, DC Bilingual students in grades 3rd-5th scored higher on average than data released for schools across the city.
PARCC scores students on a scale of 1 to 5, with 3 indicating approaching expectations for college and career readiness, 4 meeting expectations, and 5 exceeding expectations. Overall, 69% of students received a 3+ in ELA and 45% received a 4+ in ELA. 62% of students received a 3+ in math and 39% received a 4+ in math.
In comparison to data from 2018-2019 when the test was last administered, the number of 3rd-5th grade students that scored 4+ or higher increased by 6 percentage points in ELA and 9 percentage points in math. Although these student groups were not the same, we are excited to see institutional growth in these areas.
As we celebrate our students for their learning, growth, and resilience, let’s also shine a light on the folks who have a direct impact on our students.
- Thank you to our staff! Despite challenges, our staff always shows up for students and provides high-quality bilingual education and a safe learning environment. A tremendous olé to the teachers and support staff for 3rd-5th grade whose hard work is demonstrated by this year’s scores. Thank you to the teachers and support staff for PK-2nd grade as they built the strong foundation that propelled our students to succeed. We are so proud and grateful to have such an amazing team!
- Thank you to our caregivers and families! You all play a critical role in being our partners to ensure students have the tools they need to succeed in class. You build a strong home-school connection, volunteer your time and talent, and provide care and support when it’s needed most.
- Thank you to our board and community partners! It takes a village to provide the best for our students. Thank you to our PTA, Urban Teachers, PAVE, Capital Area Food Bank, AARP, Briya, Mary’s Center, related service providers, EdForward, PMM, EdOps and the countless others who play a critical role in making our school give its very best to our students and families.
While these scores are certainly cause for celebration, we believe in continuous improvement and know we must continue to grow year after year! This data allows us to establish a baseline for our students and target areas of highest need in the classroom. Below are some of the ways we will continue to ensure students are reaching their full academic potential.
- Highly skilled educators in the classroom focusing on individual student needs.
- Intervention programs and supports that start as early as possible in the school year to help bring students to their highest academic potential.
- Consistent reflection on lessons and academic scopes to make needed changes so our students stay engaged and see themselves in their learning.
- Continued focus on building a strong community that prioritizes the physical, mental, and social wellness of staff, students, and families.
If you have any questions about the 3rd-5th grade academic program, please feel free to contact 3-5 Principal Rohini Ramnath by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. To further understand PARCC Assessment results, you can contact our Data and Compliance Manager Felix Pitty by email at email@example.com.
Thank you for your support. We look forward to continuing to work alongside you this year. Together We LEAD!